The geriatric care manager takes many steps before a terminal diagnosis .The GCM client may begin see disturbing symptoms and realize they must see doctor. This pause before death is not spelled out not a single flash -more a period of time when the older person undergoes physical examinations, various tests, and ultimately ends when the individual is told they are suffering from a terminal illness
But before the judgment, what does the Geriatric care manager do for the elder.
Visit the older client on a regular basis to monitor their symptoms, care and support them in the quest to find answers.
Maintain up to date medication list and care plan
- Schedule medical appointments for the client so they can see the various doctors
- Drive client to medical appointments to advocate take notes and make list questions to ask to best use those 10 minutes of a typical doctor’s visit
- Assist family, who are often unnerved, to get questions answered by health care professionals, which can be daunting in this maze of medical providers.
- Provide a “Whole Family Approach” to centrally update all family members and meet their emotional needs around the older person
- Lend a hand to family to organize legal and insurance documents that may be needed for possible hospitalization
- Help Family set up a personal health record to store all of important medical information, questions and concerns This can be a piece of paper, file folder, USB drive or personal medical record software like Microsoft Health Vault or Web MD Health Manager