Sparring Cats and Dogs AKA Siblings
The Dysfunctional family on a holiday especially after some holiday liquid cheer, sour step-parents, angry step-siblings, and mid-life adult kids who have grown up in a dysfunctional family can turn into sparring cats and dogs with teeth bared and claws dug in flesh, at Thanksgiving dinner.
Why Their Stocking Full of Coal
As if COVID has not made the holidays hard enough for family gatherings, the ordinary
aging processes are made far tougher when a family has a history of dysfunction. and the worst occasions happen with a dysfunctional family on holidays Aging professionals, like geriatric care managers, have their greatest challenges in working with these “difficult” families.
Dysfunctional families are not able to organize themselves
They effectively face gut-wrenching eldercare challenges and crises. These families are under more stress as they move from long-established roles into uncharted territory. the dysfunctional family on holidays like Thanksgiving can face an emotional detonation then an explosion with siblings laying into each other not the turkey.
Why Cut-OFF Ruins Holidays
The dysfunctional family on Thanksgiving faces shunning or cutoff. What if adult kids “ cut off” their Dad years ago and now he had a severe stroke- what do they do?? Someone has to take over Mom or Dad’s care and these dysfunctional midlife adult kids are heavy ambivalent or just don’t want to do it. They are caught between “ I love you” and “ I hate you” and it only takes a few drinks and snarky remarks to start a fracas.
Now that the holidays are soon arriving – they have the same attitude about attending the family Thanksgiving dinner.
Get Ready for the Holiday Rush
Tuesday, November 16th, 2021, FROM 2 PM – 3:30 PM PST
- Pre-Holiday Social media campaigns to reach worried caregivers
- Pre- Holiday-Materials about the warning signs that a parent needs help
- Pre-Holiday Technology to help you move people from discovery to signing on the dotted line
- How to sell services to desperate post-holiday callers from Normal &dysfunctional & long-distance family
- How to use tools to contain Holiday chaos & arrange care in festive family fright
- How to move the family to New Year’s stability
- Position Your Agency ahead of Care Managers who do not have great preholiday marketing campaigns and lack the clinical skills how to work with Adult Children and families during the chaotic aging family holiday visit when adult kids find their aging parents need care
Featuring Speakers & ALCA Corporate Partners
Cathy Cress MSW author of the Handbook of Geriatric Care
Natasha Beauchamp- MSc, Webmaster and Research Scientist at Elder Pages Online, LLC
THIS FREE WEBINAR IS Tuesday, November 16th, 2021, FROM 2 PM – 3:30 PM PST
So what to do if you are an aging professional, geriatric care manager, nurse care manager- before the holiday to avoid the scene below.
Find out more in the YouTube for My YouTube, Channel Geriatric Care 1