Long Term Care Not Covered by Medicare
Geriatric Care management and home care, among other critical services tin aging are not covered Long term care services, is not covered by Medicare. In Bernie Sanders & Elizabeth Warren’s Plan, Medicare for all would cover long term care, a point that the Washington Post said that Sanders did not emphasize enough.
Medicare For ALL Would Cover Long Term Care
Time Magazine, recently reported that Covid-19 ‘s effect right now is making Medicare for all seem like the present need nor an unaffordable dream . The “Department of Housing and Urban Development halted foreclosures and evictions during the emergency; the Department of Education slashed federal student loan interest rates to zero and will allow borrowers to completely suspend payments if needed; Congress is negotiating a plan to send direct cash payments to families, and a version of paid sick leave just became law.”
What If We Had Medicare For All During Covid 19 Pandemic?
If we had Medicare for all during the Covid 19 pandemic, we would be better able to disburse funds in emergency situations and to purchase necessary machinery, such as ventilators ( that only the president seems to be able to dispense through the Defence Production Act & does not, during a crisis and get them where they need, like the 30,000 needed and missing in New York) face masks that as so needed that the CVC recommended bandanas and a 10-year-old student in Boston is sewing herself the height of the pandemic right now.
Unlike our current health care system, Medicare for All would include specific funding for dealing with pandemics or other health emergencies that could be distributed quickly without requiring additional legislation of presidential planning, which seems not to have happened at all. The United States cannot be left unprepared for mass health risks like COVID-19. It is time to put in place Medicare for All and better protect the health of the American public.
This lack of Medicare covering Long term care leaves geriatric care managers in an ethical dilemma of being able to only be able to serve the upper 10% and leaving 90% of seniors and thus under 64 with chronic care needs like MS, unserved.
Elizabeth Warren’s plan for Medicare for all could cost 20 Trillion over 10 years. Existing Medicare over the 10-year period would cost 16 trillion. The bill we are just passing in Congress to fund is 2 Trillion. We will need another bill. Are all the mounting deaths from Covid 19, 55,000 people with Covid 19 and counting, disruption to business, our lives and the hospital really worth not paying attention to Medicare for All- which it looks like we just might be able to afford?
Find out about this ethical dilemma and what care managers must do to serve the upper 10%, and ignore lower 90%, who have no long-term care under Medicare .
Since geriatric care management must be privately paid for, in the absence of coverage under present Medicare, in spite of our moral dilemma
Learn 5 critical success steps to start and run a profitable, GCM business
Free Webinar-Sales and Marketing to Find the VIP Concierge Client
March 31, 2020 -2PM -3:30 PM PST
Concierge Clients are the only way a GCM or ALCA care manager can make a profit and have their business thrive.
Find out who are they, how you find them, design GCM Products they will purchase, and create a marketing plan and gold standard services to have them sign your contract and use your services long term
Leave a Reply