Sparring Cats and Dogs
Especially after some holiday liquid cheer, sour step-parents, angry step-siblings and mid-life adult kids who have grown up in a dysfunctional family can turn into sparring cats and dogs with teeth bared and claws dug in flesh, at Thanksgiving dinner.
Why Their Stocking Full of Coal
The ordinary aging processes are made far tougher when a family has a history of dysfunction. Aging professionals, like geriatric care managers, have their greatest challenges in working with these “difficult” families.
Dysfunctional families are not able to organize themselves
They effectively face gut-wrenching eldercare challenges and crises. These families are under more stress as they move from long-established roles into uncharted territory.
Why Cut-OFF Ruins Holidays
What if they “ cut off” their Dad years ago and now he had a severe stroke- what do they do?? Someone has to take over Mom or Dad’s care and these dysfunctional midlife adult kids are heavy ambivalent or just don’t want to do it. They are caught between “ I love you” and “ I hate you” and it only takes a few drinks and snarky remarks to start a fracas.
Now that the holidays are soon arriving – they have the same attitude about
attending the family Thanksgiving dinner.
So what to do if you are an aging professional, geriatric care manager, nurse care manager- before the holiday to avoid the scene below.
Read Lynn Lynn Hackstaff’s chapter, Difficult Families: Conflict, Dependence, and Mutuality: Care Management with the Difficult Aging Family in Handbook of Geriatric Care Management
Join me in my newest Free Webinar
During the busiest season for care management referrals-
SIGN UP FOR MY NEWEST WEBINAR.
5 Ways to Tame the Turbulence of Holiday Meltdown in Aging Families
- How to work with both dysfunctional and long-distance families who call during the holidays
- How to give hope to frantic children who call, after seeing their aging parent struggling with the rituals
- How to sell services to desperate adult child callers
- How to use GCM tools to contain Holiday chaos
- How to use financial forecasting to prepare for growth during the holidays
- Sidestep the Many Care Managers Who Do not know how to work with Dysfunctional Aging Families so the client chooses you
THIS FREE WEBINAR IS NOVEMBER 21, 2019 FROM 2 PM – 3 PM PST
Leave a Reply