7th Sign of the dysfunctional Family -Narcissism
– One or more adult siblings has an “it’s all about me” attitude. It could be the aging parent or a midlife sibling. With aging parents, all siblings may have resented this self-absorption all their lives and have a love/hate relationship with older Moms or dads. With siblings, the other brothers and sister resent this, especially with parent care. The self-absorbed sibling either does not participate in solving sibling or aging family troubles but just makes them worse.
Devalued Child Entitled but Servile Adult.
As a kid, the adult child of a narcissist parent was devalued in the parent’s eyes so that the now aging parent can feel superior and powerful in the world. These children mature into adults who are emotionally impoverished, inflexible, and needy.
As a geriatric care manager, the adult child presents as entitled. As clients, these adult children fear that unless they make inflexible demands, they will receive nothing. “ Get my mother into a concierge wing of a hospital by tomorrow”
An adult child of a narcissistic aging parent will present as nasty, aggressive, and devaluing of the service provider. Or they could be essentially insatiable and easily injured by the helping professional. The adult children of narcissistic entitled families are also often angry and frustrated at having to give care to a parent or parents whom they experienced as ungiving, demanding, intrusive, overpowering, and needy. They are members of an ultra dysfunctional aging family.
The eighth sign of dysfunctional aging family- needy adult children
Baby boomers must evolve beyond the needy child he or she has been, for that fiscal, emotional, and social support, to the adult who supports his parent. Adult Children of aging parents in the 21st century not only confront the delay of their own needs when their parent’s aging and reliance call them but confront their own future and very much more immediate loss of the central figure in their lives, their own parents.
Some don’t- especially in the dysfunctional family.
These adults feel starved for parental affection they never received and often seek affection from professionals and other people in their lives to compensate for the care they didn’t receive as children.
Sign Up For My Webinar One More Day to Sign Up
5 Vital Clinical Tools to Help Aging Dysfunctional Families-Post Horrid
Thursday, January 21, 2021
Give frantic adult children hope when they desperately call after the holiday
Join me and learn how to come to the rescue of concierge dysfunctional families who found coal in their stocking.
Learn how to!
- Understand the Dysfunctional Aging Family System you must enter to get care for elders
- Understand 11 Warning Signs You Are Working with Dysfunctional Family
- Master Vital Clinical Tools you to solve client problems
- Take Six Steps Professional Must Take to Work with These Difficult Families
- Get care for aging family members when the dysfunctional family members resist
Find out more in the YouTube for My YouTube, Channel Geriatric Care 1