What is emotional Quality of Life
What is emotional quality of Life? It is a connection with others. We all, including older people, crave human contact. The professional relationship a care manager has with an elder is emotionally caring, just like a concierge physician. It trumps personal chefs and shoppers because you assess their problems and actually have a deep relationship.
In a world where the family no longer lives next door and supports each other, geriatric care managers can give elders that human contact and support that is gone in most sandwich generation families.
Emotional connection to pets ¨
Emotional connection to grandchildren ¨
Peace with oneself
When older people move into Assisted Living they frequently do not feel that emotional connection. They may have to leave their pets behind, the family does not live nearby or is overwhelmed with work and younger family members. If the older person just moved to Assisted Living they often feel like they landed on Mars and are not sure how to make friends or socialize with the Martians. They are not at peace with themselves
How Do You Find It
This is where a geriatric care manager or ALCA member can come in. By working with the Assisted Living facility and the family, the care manager can bolster the sagging quality of life of an elder who is unhappy with Assisted Living. They can do an Assessment for Emotional Quality of Life and create emotional connections –
- For someone who just moved in assisted living, plan a tea party or cocktail party and invite new neighbors
- Assess what activities the new resident likes, escort them to the activity and ask the instructor to pair them with a buddy.
- Enroll the resident in the local Osher program and let them pick out a group to join. Example lunch group, dinner group, play reading, Dickens, New Yorker, Arrange transportation if necessary
- Enroll the client in a group at a local senior center that reflects what they like to do, like knitting, needlepoint, poetry, and memoir writing gentle yoga, if that is not offered at the facility. Arrange senior transportation
- Enroll a homebound client in Senior Center Without Walls .
- Arrange a visit by Pet Therapy Dog to visit the older person, who left a pet behind or arrange for the elder to visit the local SPCA with an escort and transportation where the escort can interact with the animal.
Find out how to market GCM /ALCA Services to Assisted Living
10 Steps to Success in Selling Care Management to Assisted Living
FREE WEBINAR- 10 Steps to Success in Selling Care Management to Assisted Living
THIS WEBINAR BEGINS: Monday, June 24, 2019, 2 PM PST Ends 3:15 PM PST
Find Out More
DURING THIS FREE WEBINAR YOU WILL LEARN
How to Make a Winning First Impression at Assisted Living Sales Meeting- Preparing Presentation
What Referral Triggers to Use When Selling Geriatric Care Management to Assisted Living
What Feature to use When Selling Geriatric Care Management to Assisted Living
What Benefits to use When Selling Geriatric Care Management to Assisted Living
How to Close the Sale of Geriatric Care Management to Assisted Living