It takes 1 Mom to Handle 10 children and 10 children can’t manage one Mom
HOW YOU GET OTHER SIBLINGS INVOLVED
Before the coming Thanksgiving celebration, what are some suggestions you can make to the main care provider to get help FROM ADULT SIBLINGS, when all family members have gathered?
Here are some ideas for you as the care manager, can suggest to clients to organize siblings to help share care.
1. KEEP THEM UP ON THINGS?
ways to keep siblings informed
telephone calls or conference calls with siblings
monthly e-newsletters to siblings Constant Contact –
Skype with parents
Make an Amazon Wish list and share it for gifts for parents
2.LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO Say
3.MAKE SURE AGING PARENTS UNDERSTAND THAT YOU NEED YOUR SIBLINGS HELP
4. IF YOU WANT SIBLINGS TO HELP-TELL THEM SO
5. BE SURE TO GIVE SIBLINGS POSITIVE FEEDBACK FOR THEIR EFFORTS
- Write thank you notes, call, text, e-mail
6.SPEAK UP RIGHT AWAY IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS
diffuse problems early on
7. INSTEAD OF MAKING ACCUSATIONS- SHARE YOUR FEELINGS
example- one sibling handles parents’ finances, bills, for Thanksgiving, everyone brings a dish and out of town siblings bring wine, drinks bread etc.
one person does a newsletter about the client
use calendar LOTS of HELPING HANDS
This also may be an article for your website or newsletter for November.
Get more tips on working with Aging families during the busiest care management season- the coming holidays
Join me in my new Webinar
5 Ways to Tame the Turbulence of Holiday Meltdown in Aging Families
During the busiest season for care management referrals-
You Will Learn:
- How to give hope to frantic children who call, after seeing their aging parent struggling with the rituals
- How to sell services to desperate adult child callers
- How to use GCM tools to contain Holiday chaos
- How to use financial forecasting to prepare for growth during the holidays
- How to work with both dysfunctional and long-distance families who call during the holidays